Thursday, November 29, 2012

Day 334: My favorite things...

Every so often we all get a song stuck in our heads. Unfortunately the types of songs that become ingrained in our minds tend to be those cheesy bubble gum jingles that serve as a type of self induced torture that linger for several hours. It’s only by the shear grace of God that the song finally fades away and those tormenting voices return. Oh, wait, that’s just me.

The last couple of days I’ve been attending a business conference across town and in order to deal with the madness of the commute I’ve been listening to that soft rock radio station that is now playing nothing but Christmas music. I’ve noticed that this year they’ve been playing songs from “The Sound of Music”. Seems odd to me because I’ve never considered “The Sound of Music” as a holiday movie/musical but I’m not about to complain here. Anyone who knows me knows that I’m not a closet fan of the musical. On the contrary I’ve come out in a BIG way. Whenever I go to the Bavarian Grill in Plano, Texas, I’m the one that requests “Edelweiss” and “The Lonely Goatherd”. Unfortunately for my dinner companions they have to listen to my rendition of those Rogers and Hammerstein classics. Personally I think I sound great but that could just be the bier talking.

So this morning I was driving into work and “My Favorite Things” came on the radio. Of course that led to an impromptu duet between Julie Andrews and me and I must say I rocked that song. Suffice it to say that song is now embedded in my psyche. Hey, it could be worse. It could be “867-5309” or “Oh Mickey”. But “My Favorite Things” is a great song. Besides being a beautiful melody it also helps to remind me of all the wonderful things I have in my life. I’m not really a fan of cream colored ponies and warm woolen mittens really don’t keep my hands warm but I do have a list of my favorite things and it’s always nice to remind myself of those things, especially when I’ve got a case of the “funk”. So when times are stressful or you feel there’s a cloud over your life, take a few minutes to remind yourself of the things that matter most to you.



No comments:

Post a Comment