Thursday, November 1, 2012

Day 306: Already?

Now I've made no bones about the fact I can't wait for winter and all snow up in the mountains but that doesn't mean I've been walking around wearing my helmet and carrying my snowboard every where I go.  And I've been waiting for a couple weeks now for the appearance of the red Starbucks holiday cups but I couldn't imagine drinking from them in the middle of summer.  There's a time and place for all things, holidays included and if we don't keep some level of separation we start to lose the significance of these special times because everything gets blended together.  

I guess it's just a reflection of how we've become a "multi-task" culture.  Maybe we were just dumber back then but as a kid you really had to focus your energies on one holiday at a time.  Halloween wasn't just about costumes.  You had to create a battle plan on how you and your friends were going to invade all the neighborhoods, determine who gave out the best candy and try to avoid getting beat up and having your candy stolen by the older kids.  Thanksgiving was all about food and football.  A bit more laborious for the kids because the days leading up to Thanksgiving you were usually captured and placed into indentured servitude by your mother who was now running a labor camp out of the house.  Your days were spent cleaning the house for visitors and overnight guests, having to relocate yourself in the workers barracks (basement) and essentially having to walk that fine line between making yourself available to your mom but also keeping the hell out of her way.  I never quite got the hang of that.  Christmas was the Super Bowl for kids.  Everything led up to this one special moment in time.  Waiting for the Sears Christmas catalog to come in the mail, ripping it from the hands of your sisters so you could be the first to make sure you circled every toy and dog-eared every page to ensure your mom knew exactly what you wanted when she had her conference call with Santa. There was the excitement of getting the freshly cut Christmas tree, putting up decorations around the house and listening to Bing Crosby on the record player (reel to reel, for some of us).  And if you were anything like me, you were working your very best negotiating skills and charm, trying to convince your mom to let you open one present early.  There were some years when I was able to finagle a gift or two.  Hey, I was adorable back then. 

But now folks are hanging up their Christmas lights in October and stores are putting out their Christmas inventory in September.  Last year I actually saw Easter candy on display in our local grocery store BEFORE New Years Day.  WTH?!  I was still trying to choke down all the treats I got for Christmas when the candy cartel started pushing Cadury bunnies on me.  These guys are more aggressive with their candy than drug dealers are pushing their wares. Here's the deal, the first indication of Christmas coming is suppose to be the presence of Santa during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade.  Just one guy, no big fanfare, just letting you know he's less than a month away.  You all think that Friday after Thanksgiving is only for shopping?  Well it's really intended to be the day when all the dads shlep out the Christmas decorations to turn their house into something Clark Griswold would shed a tear over ("the little lights aren't twinkling").  Can I just enjoy Halloween with no other interruptions of impending holidays?  Can I just enjoy my turkey dinner, some kick ass wine and football without having to listen to Christmas music on the radio or see Christmas lights flickering in my neighborhood?

I swear it's like we're in such a hurry for tomorrow that we don't enjoy today. When it comes to holidays, let's heed one piece of advice from our mothers.... "Slow down, chew your food.  Your toys will just have to wait."

No comments:

Post a Comment