Monday, November 26, 2012

Day 331: 'O Holy Night...

For as long as I can remember one of my favorite hymns during Christmas time has been "O Holy Night".  I've always loved the melody but it wasn't until a Pastor at Mariner's Church did a sermon on that hymn that I really came to appreciate and understand the lyrics.  It truly is powerful and inspiring, well beyond my ability to describe it.  I'm hearing it a lot these days on the radio as we inch closer to Christmas.  For me it really captures the spirit of Christmas, far beyond the super sales, food feasts and general holiday mayhem.

I'm providing the first verse of the lyrics here.  Hopefully without the music you'll be able to read these words and perhaps it might have some meaning for you.  Don't worry if it doesn't.  This isn't a test of faith or an indictment to those who have none.  Just wanted to share a little Christmas spirit. 


'O Holy Night
Adolphe Adam

"O holy night! The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of our dear Saviour's birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining,
'Til He appear'd and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
O night divine, O night when Christ was born;
O night divine, O night, O night Divine."

No comments:

Post a Comment