Friday, November 23, 2012

Day 328: Fate worse than death...


I've never been a big fan of shopping, especially during the holidays.  Too many sales reps asking if you need help when you don't and no one around for miles when you do.  And the crowds.  The annoying, obnoxious crowds who meander around like zombies, constantly underfoot and completely unaware of anything or anyone around them.  On the off chance that I do need to venture out into the wilds of the shopping malls I move fast and light.  I know exactly what I need to get and where to find it so stay the hell out of my way.  I think as a courtesy to us shoppers who know what they're doing they should have a designated time called "Fast Shopper".  All the meanderers and their snot-nosed screaming kids can wait outside while the rest of us who have a purpose in life can take care of business.  Trust me, I don't want to be in that mall any longer than necessary so let me get what I need and get the hell out.

Kinda sad to think about those folks that set up camp outside a Best Buy or a Sears a night or two before Thanksgiving  waiting for the midnight sales to kick off.  After last night's Thanksgiving feast with friends I could barely muster enough thought and energy this morning to start the coffee let alone consider going out among the savages to shop.  Last night I actually woke up at 12:10 AM and looking at the clock I thought about those folks who were just then scurrying through the stores trying to find that best deal.  I was lying there still bloated from food and wine and couldn't imagine getting my lazy ass out of bed just to go buy an appliance at 12:30 in the morning.

I know some folks really enjoy the whole Black Friday shopping thing but what a drag to miss out on a wonderful evening with family and friends just to go buy stuff.  Yeah, there are some that can probably do both feasting and shopping but they've got to be superhuman.  I would guess many forgo the feast and focus on shopping.  To each his own, I guess.  But the things we buy only have a short lifespan and in most cases won't retain any real value over time and will be soon forgotten.  Memories of an afternoon preparing the Thanksgiving meal in the kitchen, lounging around the TV watching football, sitting at the dinner table talking, laughing, eating and drinking will stay with us for years to come.  You really can't put a price tag on something like that.  I miss spending Thanksgiving with my parents, sisters and my Sam but being able to join our friends for a wonderful evening just reminds me that family isn't just those who share a similar DNA.  I consider myself incredibly blessed that there are so many wonderful people in my life and as far as I'm concerned they're all family to me.

Like most of you we have our fair share of leftovers.  I won't even begin to describe the bowl of mashed potatoes we had prepared.  Let's just say it nearly exceeded the load baring capacity of the dinner table.  So today is going to be a day of recovery and a chance to reflect on the wonderful evening we had last night and bask in the warmth of being part of a cherished family.  Oh, by the way Mr. Light Rock Radio Station.... NOW you can start playing Christmas music.

No comments:

Post a Comment