Sunday, November 4, 2012

Day 309: Zzzzzzzz... Not!

"2:50 AM.  Oh for the love of God!  You've got to be kidding me.  I'm up, awake?  On a Sunday morning when I should be sleeping soundly you're telling me it's time to get up?"

Yep, that was the little conversation I had with myself this morning.  Un-frickin'-believable!  This is suppose to be the one morning where I can catch up on a little lost sleep from the past week.  But oh no, not me.  Fall's daylight savings time is one of the favorite times for most people.  They all say how much they'll get to enjoy an extra hour of sleep.  I never really understood that considering it's Sunday and unless you go to some sunrise service you can pretty much sleep in as long as you want regardless of the time change.  For me, though, the time change means I'll be getting up an hour earlier.  My body pays little attention to the workings of my alarm clock.  Apparently I've got some internal clock that wakes me within five or six hours from the time I went to sleep.  Maybe it's that damn, old Army recruiting slogan that must be embedded into my genetic make up... "We do more before 9:00AM then most people do in an entire day."

Man I can still recall my youth where I could sleep in until 11:30 or so.  The only thing that would keep me from sleeping in longer was my dad blasting the stereo with the sounds of screeching Scottish bagpipes, Native American Indian chants or old German military marching songs.  Even in college when I had ROTC field exercises I would freak out if I didn't get my eight hours of sleep.  Now I can stay up past 10:00 and wake up at 3:30 or 4:00 and be ready to go.  What the hell?  Why can't I be normal?  But I guess to look at the positive side, being an early riser does kinda play into my wheel house.  I do enjoy my solitude.  Whether it's to head out on an early morning hike/photo safari, or working on my computer processing photos or my absolute favorite, watching old movie classics, it is a pretty enjoyable time of the day (night) for me.

But still, only six hours of sleep a night.  Is this an old person thing? 


No comments:

Post a Comment