Monday, November 5, 2012

Day 310: The next American Idol...

So I was out driving yesterday and it occurred to me I have a helluva singing voice.  No, seriously (wink).  I hear that a lot of folks like to sing in the shower.  I was never much for belting out a tune while lathering up the suds.  Get in, get out and be on my way.  For me my "studio" was and still is my car.  I don't know what it is.  Put me in a church or any other public forum and my attempts at singing sound more like an animal being eaten alive rather than the sexy, smooth vocals you would hear in my car.  I mean I've got range that would make Maria Carey jealous beyond words.  Compared to me Pavarotti sounds like the 4th place finisher at Karaoke Night in a crappy ass bar outside Provo, Utah. I can nail the high, screechy notes like Axel Rose in "Sweet Child of Mine" as well as the deep, smoldering tones of Lou Rawls in "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine".  And don't get me started on Jesus Christ Superstar.  I could literally play all roles simultaneously.  "JESUS!!!! You've started to believe the things they've said of you...."

And it's not just singing.  I'm the best seated dancer you'll ever find.  Shakin' dat booty down the freeway, baby!  Never mastered the air drums but my air guitar skills are beyond compare.  Over the years I've refined my technique of driving with my knees so I can rip through the guitar solos of "Free Bird" and "Enter Sandman".  Now if only I had the big hair, then my car-driving, rock star persona would be complete.  Yeah, they REALLY need a suburbia version of American Idol.  If for no other reason than to give us wanna-bees an opportunity to show case our wicked, albeit delusional, skills. 

ROCK ON!!

Oh, and just a side not to all you radio stations that claim to be "Classic Rock".  If your menu of songs includes anything from Cheap Trick, John Mellencamp or Rush or if the only song you play by the Eagles is "Hotel California", then turn in your Classic Rock card and change your format to something like farm reporting or talk radio.  You've soiled the name of "Classic Rock" long enough.  To be a true classic rock station you must have the courage to take those old LPs, flip them over, and play the awesome B side songs that were more often than not better than the "popular" songs of their day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment