Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Day 319: Gym.. not just for sweating

Nothing like getting up at O'dark 30, sifting through your emails before you go to the gym, only to receive a notice that you're restricted from using a particular service because you failed to cancel a previous reservation.  For 14 frickin' days!  What the hell?!  Yeah, I know, in the vast scheme of things this isn't even a zit on the back of a gnat.  I guess what set me off was the whole tone of the message, so heavy handed like I had just killed a baby seal while setting fire to an orphanage.  I work in an environment where policy enforcement is a big part of my job.  The difference is when someone does something wrong at my work we have to make it sound like "Ah shucks, so sorry we have to do this..."  But not with these clowns.  Sanctimonious jerks!

So there I was, 4:20 in the morning stewing over some stupid email.  I was all set to blow off the gym and draft up some scathing letter back to this company but guilt got the better of me so I grabbed my towel and I was off to sweat to the oldies.  Literally, the "oldies".  I've commented a couple of times to management about their music selection at the gym.  Instead of upbeat, classic rock they tend to play stuff like Peaches and Herb, Abba or Herman and the Hermits.  This morning was no different with the slight exception that the tunes were early 80s.  As I was about to elevate my pissy-ness, the song "Come On Eileen" came through the speakers.  That pretty much blew away any foulness I had in me.  Not because I'm some Dexy's Midnight Runners fan.  That song brought back memories of a Thanksgiving years ago.  I had recently divorced and for Thanksgiving my daughter, Sam, and I took a road trip from Orange County up to Minden, Nevada to see my folks.  It was an awesome road trip.  We played nothing but stupid 80s music, laughing and singing the whole way.  It was definitely one of the best times of my life.  Just me and Sam and the open road.

As I may have said before, this year we won't have Sam and Nick with us.  But I will certainly have memories of Thanksgivings past.  I do miss having my girls and the family all together.  Ahhh well, maybe next year.  But at least for now I'm in a much better mood.  Let's see how the rest of the day unfolds.

2 comments: