Saturday, July 28, 2012

Day 210: Junk food...

So last night my wife and I settled in front of the TV to watch the opening ceremonies of the Summer Olympics.  My overall excitement and anticipation was quickly shattered when within the first few minutes of the telecast little Bobby Costas turned the show over to the first interview conducted by none other than smarmy Ryan Seacrest.  SEACREST!?  Really!?  The great and hallowed venue of the Olympic games will now to be graced by "Mr. E News"?

To keep me from climbing the walls, my wife quickly reminded me that it's actually been quite an accomplishment for him to make it to this level of broadcasting.  We both remember when he was this cheezey DJ on LA's Star 98.7.  I'll tell you folks, I never really cared for him as a DJ and as the years have rolled on I've cared even less for his role in the evolution of our culture. 

Now for all my conspiracy theory friends out there, one could certainly make the argument that Seacrest is nothing more than a pawn used by big government (yeah Republican and Democrat), whose sole purpose is to distract the American populace from all the crap that's spewing out of Washington, DC.  Think about it, Seacrest's mark can be found all over the airwaves.  You can't change the channel on your TV without coming across one of his intellectual gems.  He's promoted and/or produced such compelling and thought provoking shows as "American Idol, Denise Richards: It's Complicated", "Giuliana and Bill", "Gladiators 2000" and the most awe inspiring show of them all, "Keeping Up With the Kardashians".  His list goes on, but where are the programs that stimulate thought?  Sure, there are obscure publications out there that hint at all the wrong doings of our elected leaders but the biggest mass media tool, that one that touches nearly every American, is owned and operated by those that would dumb down the American population.  By the way, I may be wrong but I think I heard that the movie "Idiocracy" is being reclassified from a comedy to a documentary.  I could be wrong...

Alright, I'll tone down the conspiracy talk but let's get down to the point of my rant.  There is so much info out there on health and diet.  Much of that is really centered around trying to create beautiful bodies for ourselves in a desperate attempt to live up to the publicity whores that Seacrest deifies.  Being physically healthy IS a very important endeavor but what about that slab of goo between our ears?  Why is there so little out there that promotes the stimulation and strengthening of our minds?  There are brilliant people out there but collectively we're one big idiot fest.  "It's my constitutional right to have beer."  (seriously, I've actually heard that).  Ok, Bubba, where exactly in the Constitution did you read that?  Oh, wait, you mean you DON'T know how to read?  Ah, I see.  What we have is junk food for the brain and Seacrest, in my mind, is the countries largest distributor.  Ok, I'll stop picking on him for a while but look around you.  When you check out at a grocery store, what do you find?  A mish mosh of trash mags that are nothing more than the printed version of the same shit Seacrest promotes on his TV shows.

Now to be fair junk food, for the body and the brain, aren't completely bad, if consumed in small moderation.  But I will argue that a large portion of our population consumes that crap as if it were a jumbo size bag of Cheetos, followed with a Big Gulp Mountain Dew chaser.  I say put the junk food away and start "eating" healthy.  As stimulating as "50 Shades of Grey" must be, consider reading something historical or inspirational.  Lately I've been on a kick reading about the native American Indians.  Wow, not at all like what was taught in school and certainly not what you see in the movies.  Try reading autobiographies on historical figures.  Sorry, the Bieber doesn't count.  Or you know what?  Go to your nearby community college and enroll in a class of some kind.  The bottom line is, do something that challenges and expands your intellect.  Look for answers to the questions you've had.  I guarantee that the more answers you find the more questions you'll have and all this puts you on a never ending journey of discovery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment