Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Day 206: Buck stops here...


I think it's a natural part of our recovery to label things, define circumstances in such a way as to provide us some understanding and to make us feel more comfortable.  In situations such as the shooting in Aurora it's natural to need to assign blame and to look for retribution.  Fortunately the suspect is in custody and will face due process but apparently we aren't done pointing fingers.  I understand this is due in large part to the rage and despair we're experiencing but I feel a need to speak out. 

In response to the shooting I've heard comments that insinuate this was all the result of government by weak minded liberals who run this country.  Weak minded, absolutely.  But to attribute this type of crime to a political body is nothing more than inflammatory rhetoric, or as I like to say, bull shit.  If you truly feel this type of thing wouldn't happen in a more conservative society, I would ask you to do a little research.  When it comes to sick, weak minded sociopaths, the most infamous modern day mass murderer came out of the former Soviet Union, a country that pretty much wrote the book on iron-fisted rule of it's people.  All by his lonesome Andrei Chikatilo killed over 50 people in a short span of time.  Evil can exist any where.  All it needs is a place (or mind) to grow.

Beyond the obvious guilt of the shooter, if we really need to place additional blame, why are we not looking at ourselves?  As a society we help foster such evil behavior.  In the presence of evil we have a tendency to hide, become disengaged, point the finger of blame and expect someone else to solve the problem.  Well I'm here to tell you that this "evil" resides in us all.  Don't be so self-righteous to think you aren't capable of evil or that you haven't practiced it in some form or fashion already.  The only difference between the evil I've done and that of a mass murderer is the degree to which it's done.  If you try to place a dividing line between acceptable and unacceptable evil then I would say you're trying to create a boundary that serves you, allowing you to justify your own actions while condemning someone else for theirs.  Sin is a sin, evil is evil, pure and simple.  Sure, it sounds like absolutism but don't you think God is just as disappointed in us when we lie or cheat someone as when we kill?  Conversely, don't you believe that God smiles down upon you just as much when you open the door for an elderly person as He would if you saved 100 orphans from a burning building?  You don't have to kill to face His condemnation nor do you have to cure cancer to feel His favor.

I'm not saying that if we were all good little boys and girls there would be no evil.  Like a quote from another favorite movie of mine, "Good and evil, there's not one without the other."  But I think we can do much to minimize the spread of evil by putting more of ourselves into our relationships and into our communities.  If all we do is sit back casting blame then we're no better than the animal that committed the crime.  I feel a sense of responsibility because I know in my little world I could be a better husband, a better father, a better friend, a better human being.  My actions, both good and bad, affect everyone around me.  I have the power to make someone smile or put them in a foul mood.  I can instill confidence or doubt.  I can make someone feel loved or despised.  We are influenced by people and experiences that make up our daily lives.  It is our life experiences that drive our behaviors.  Ever wonder what those experiences must have been to compel someone to do such evil?

I truly believe that Jesus expects each and everyone of us to be the best version of ourselves at all times.  I also believe that He knows we will fail from time to time therefore there is no reason to cast blame.  Perhaps that's why He says, "He who is without sin cast the first stone."  Hey, that animal will get what's coming to him, but if you feel compelled to throw stones at others, make sure you drop a big one on yourself first.

Are you the symptom or the cure?



No comments:

Post a Comment