Friday, July 20, 2012

Day 202: Nasty curveball...


I guess I've grown complacent.  For the most part life has been good.  No significant tragedies or hardships.  Sure there are bombings in the middle east and local gang bangers shooting each other up.  I hate to admit I pretty much dismiss those events with a casual "it's their way" but this mornings event in Aurora really threw me for a loop.

What possessed me to wake up at 2:50 this morning I'll never know but I was immediately greeted with Facebook posts from our local TV station about a horrific shooting at a theater in Aurora around 12:30 this morning.  I put on the TV and every local station was talking about it.  So incredibly sad and so tragic.  The grief and the rage that is now gripping this community is beyond measure. 

I will say it's been great to see the community come so quickly to the aid of the victims and their families.  I know many of us will ask the question "why?" but I just know that the answers will be few and they won't completely satisfy as much as we would hope.  There is no answer, no explanation that could possibly begin to assuage the remorse and the rage that so many are feeling.  As much as I would like to know the answers, that's really not what's needed at this time.  Compassion, comfort and healing is what we need.  I know the news has been quickly trying to paint a picture of a demented individual because there's no other reason why someone would do this.  It will help some to put this all in context.  But even with that being the case it won't help with the grief and suffering that so many are now having to endure. 

Try not to bother with "why" but rather focus your energies, focus your heart on projecting/praying for those who are suffering.  Put forward not just the thought but the actual feelings of compassion, love and peace.  I know it's hard.  Saying the words is one thing but feeling it, and sending it to those that need it is difficult because we are also dealing with our own emotions over this.  I know there's evil in this world.  We've helped to create it.  But likewise, there is much love and compassion and it is within all of us to share.  Express your best and deepest feelings of love and healing for those in need.  And while you're at it, remind those closest to you how much you love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment