Friday, July 13, 2012

Day 195: Class struggle...

What is it about getting bumped to first class that turns an otherwise compassionate, sympathetic person into a self-absorbed, entitled SOB?  Today's little experience certainly laid out for me the class struggle that exists in our country today and it's easy to see how our perceptions quickly change when we're plucked from one class and dropped into another.   

Even with all my travel I don't often enjoy the luxury of traveling first class.  Given that predicament, I begrudgingly settle in with my fellow traveling comrades to the tiny niche of our existence which is the seat that is two sizes too small for a Hobbit.  Where I sit there are no freebies.  Other than water and juice, all things come at a price.  Not like the good old days when you were given a full meal, a pillow and blanket and even a recent magazine or two.  Those benefits are long gone as the money mongers have done their evil by removing any and all perks in order to line their pockets.  Prisoners fare better than travelers in coach class.  Even the lines to the bathroom look like the breadlines in old Moscow.

But today the travel Gods smiled down upon me.  I took advantage of a coupon I had for a free visit to the American Airlines Admirals Club.  That's a whole other blog but suffice it to say it put me in a mood of entitlement and privilege right from the get go.  As luck would have it some 725 peasants, I mean, passengers, were on standby for my flight (ok, I exaggerate) and so I was easily moved up to first class.  Right off I'm thinking "Oh yeah, you all just sit there cuz I'm getting on first."  What the hell?  Where did that voice come from?  And once I took my seat and the villagers were allowed to come on, I thought, "Yeah, got me a big comfortable seat.  Don't you EVEN make eye contact with me.  Keep moving!  And don't hit me with your Fendi knock-off."  Wow, I was channeling pure evil!

I don't know what all happened next.  I was consumed in a swirl of self-righteousness, greed and condemnation for those freeloaders skulking in the back for plane.  "Close that curtain!  Keep them out!  Don't let those people infect my little airborne paradise."  Wasn't sure if that was my outer or inner voice that said that.  I'm hoping it was the latter. 

I landed without further incident.  Got my little mint and carry on bag and made my way home.  It amazed me how quickly I could go from "man of the people" to "Mr. Gimmie!"  It was a pretty ugly side of me, I'll give you that.  Guess I'll be getting a visit from Karma soon.  Please be gentle.  

No comments:

Post a Comment