Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day 194: You gonna eat that?


Meshack's BBQ Shack, a small hole in the wall dive in Garland, Texas that makes wicked good BBQ. Sure you can go to Morton's or Ruth's Chris for some high end grub and pay those high end prices but if you want real , All-American BBQ, this is the place to be. Meschack's doubles as a machine and welding shop. I guess some time ago they decided as a means of supplementing their income they'd also BBQ up some ribs and other forms of flesh. Sure it has a slight metallic taste with a hint of 10W30 but the sliced beef sandwich was like nothing I've ever had before. Of course they serve up baked beans but this is bathing suit season so I declined.

I love dive joints. This particular place is where a sliced beef sandwich is a sliced beef sandwich. You don't ask for modifications. At a place like Meshack's you're likely to get shot if you ask if the sandwich is gluten free or if they serve free range meat. "Happy cow"? Be thankful it's a dead cow and pretty well cooked. I think the dive joints are what makes the American cuisine so unique. Yeah, you run the risk of some serious food poisoning but wasn't America founded on the intestinal fortitude of our early settlers? That which doesn't kill you, or blow out your ass like a volcano, only makes you stronger.

So, with all that being said let's see how well I process this lunch. Tomorrow's blog could very well come to you from my "throne". I'll feel sorry for anyone sitting in close proximity to me on the plane. Consider yourself warned!

No comments:

Post a Comment