Thursday, July 5, 2012

Day 187: Last meal...


It is the last and only meal.  Since I was a boy my absolute favorite, go to meal has been the salami and cheese sandwich.  Breakfast, lunch or dinner, I could live off this luscious treat for the remainder of my days.  When my wife says, "you're on your own for dinner", more often than not I'm making my sandwich.  It is the alpha and omega of all sandwiches.  Sure, over the years it's been modified to go along with the times.  Regular French's mustard has been replaced with Dijon and now Spicy Brown mustard.  Hunks of Velveeta have been replaced by slices of Pepperjack and on special occasions, Horseradish Cheddar.  And the bread has been anything from cardboard white to rye to the king of all breads, San Francisco extra sourdough.  And the salami, ahhhhh, nothing but Gallo Salame!    In my best James Earl Jones voice, "If you make it, he will eat."

And like any great outfit, this sandwich must be accessorized.  You know what I'm talking about ladies.  Assorted chips highlight the supreme qualities of this magnificent sandwich and an ice cold beer, preferably German, gives it that major "WOW" factor.  Work it, baby!!

So, if the time comes when I'm asked to choose my last meal, safe money is on the good old salami and cheese sandwich.  I might forgo the beer and go with a nice bottle of Opus One with a couple of shots of Louis XIII and dark chocolate as an after meal treat. I mean, come on, it IS my last meal...

"Dead man eating!"


No comments:

Post a Comment