Saturday, July 14, 2012

Day 196: "Only mad dogs and Englishmen..."


and suburban yard warriors, go out in the midday sun."  Ok, so maybe that's not exactly what Mr. Kipling said but I'll certainly take credit for being among the crazies that insist on working in inhospitable conditions.

I suppose I could've done the yard work first thing in the morning before temps got outrageous but this morning my trainer Natalie and I ran the Walker Ranch loop.  Actually our runs are more like "My Dinner with Andre" with running shoes but I digress.  Guess I could hire a team of gardeners to come in and do the dirty work for me but after we moved to Colorado I've taken on more ownership of what goes on in and around my house.  Sure I could leave it up to the professionals but I guess mowing my own lawn, shoveling my own drive way and trying to be the family handyman is my attempt at being master of my domain.  It is gratifying to look out on my yard and know that my wife and I had something to do with it.  In a time when we're all just lucky to be working, it's sometimes hard to find gratification in the things we do.  For me it's yard work and to a much greater degree, running.  

It's been a hard summer so far.  June was insane.  Over a weeks worth of triple digit temps and virtually no rain.  At least July has started out cool and wet but the hot temps are coming back and we still look to the skies in hopes a few drops of rain.  So even though it's a challenge to do yard work in sweltering heat, it's nothing that a turkey and cheese on sourdough, along with an ice cold Stella, can't fix.  So with that being said, it's time for another cold one and a nap in front of the TV.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment