Saturday, July 21, 2012

Day 203: Funkytown...

I suppose I should make this a lazy day.  It's certainly been a week of weeks.  But I don't know.  There's a part of me that can't sit still but there's nothing in particular that seems remotely interesting to do.  I don't know if it's because there's going to be another triple digit day or just being physically and mentally exhausted from this past week but I'm definitely in a funk.  Can't say why exactly.  I guess that's pretty typical when we're feeling a bit down, there seldom seems to be a single reason for it.

Unlike your ass, it's hard to shake the funk.  Sometimes just doing something completely out of the ordinary helps.  But there are chores to do and if I was a smart man, I'd mow the lawn right now instead of waiting to fry later in the day.  I'm sure my neighbors will love me for it.  Hey, it's almost 8AM.  Back when I lived in OC you could set your clocks by the gardening teams that would show up in the neighborhood on a Saturday morning.  At precisely seven o'clock, "Gentlemen, start your mowers!"  Well, I could do laundry or straighten up the house but that's not nearly as gratifying as hiking a mountain but it does need to get done.

Being in a funk is kinda like having the flu.  It usually only lasts a day or two and then you bounce right back.  If it goes much longer than that it could possibly lead to little bouts of depression.  Now hold on, put your pills down.  I think it's well within our capacity to deal with some kinds of depression without assistance but there are those day(s) when a little help is needed.  If you're lucky, you have someone close, even if they're 3,000 miles away, who can help you through this valley you're in.  Just a kind word, a gentle hug or a smiley face can do wonders.  I think what those simple gestures do is instill hope back in our lives. 

Another quote from one of my favorite movies... "Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Shawshank Redemption

So here's to hope and checking out of Funkytown...

No comments:

Post a Comment