Monday, July 9, 2012

Day 191: The next step...

Life is all about taking steps.  We move through life, one step at a time, dealing with the challenges and joys that life presents us.  And although that seems rather simple, it's one of the most difficult things any of us can do.  So much stands in the way of us taking that next step and we are the ones to blame for it.

As a marathoner I learned many years ago that the true path to success was to just take another step.  Far too often runners fail to accomplish their goals because they over think their circumstances.  They think of the miles that lay ahead, coupled with the pain they feel in their body and quickly convince themselves they must quit.  Hey, I'm not about to tell you that marathons lack discomfort because they can truly suck at times.  But when I'm honest with myself, knowing the pain I feel and can adequately accept it (i.e. "being comfortably uncomfortable"), all I then have to concern myself with is taking that next step.  If I can do that, without thought or worry of what's to come, I'll eventually cross the finish line.  Far too often I've seen athletes more physically gifted than I pack it in during a race because they couldn't endure.  I would look at them and say, "Well, I've gotten as far as him, guess I'll just keep going".  (Think Forest Gump) 

Everyone of us is faced with challenges.  Whether it's trying to buy that house, complete that degree, finish the race, deal with the illness of a friend or loved one, challenges come in many forms but how we approach them should be the same..... take the next step.  Just get through that next homework assignment, don't think about how many more classes you need.  Help your mother to her next doctors appointment and don't think about whether she'll need another procedure.  Complete that task at work and don't think about whether or not your boss will approve. 

We consistently fail ourselves when we worry about what might come rather than focusing on what is right in front of us.  It's been proven time and again that seldom can an army win a war fighting on multiple fronts.  Same goes for us.  If we are fighting with what is happening right now along with what MIGHT be, we lose our direction and are doomed to failure.  Now don't confuse preparation with worry.  It's always good to be ready for any contingency and if you're truly prepared for most anything you'll worry so much less.  So don't worry about what might happen, just take the next step.

No comments:

Post a Comment