Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Day 193: Time...

Time is one of the most illusive commodities in life and in many cases is the bane of our existence. Time keeps us from completing a degree, from training for our first marathon, from visiting our folks, or taking care of that household project. "I just don’t have enough time." Who hasn't chanted that mantra?


Back in the day when I was young ROTC cadet there were several of us that were either married or engaged to be married and with all the demands that would be placed on a young officer, many of use wondered how we would manage to be both an officer and a husband. One of my instructors, a burly old Major, gave me a little piece of advice, "You gotta make time, cadet." When you get past the patronizing tone, it really did make perfect sense.


"Gotta make time." What it really boils down to is if it's truly that important to you, then you'll make the time. You'll figure out a way to have your cake and eat it too. I'll be honest with you. I'll say I don't have time to fix the dishwasher or have time to clean out the garage, but deep down inside it's not that I don't have time, it's just that it's really not that important to me so it doesn't get done.


Only when our willingness to change exceeds our threshold of pain will anything get done in our lives. If you're miserable in that job or relationship, or that broke frig or dishwasher is driving you nuts, you'll only fix those things when it becomes important to you and you feel the need for change. So life is about prioritizing and placing importance on the things that really matter to you. Family? Friends? Job? A personal goal? What are the things that matter to you? Find out what they are and you'll naturally make time for them. It won't be nearly as hard as you think.


Speaking of time, I'm late posting this blog so… gotta go!

No comments:

Post a Comment