Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Day 151: Yummy...

I'm pretty much a simpleton.  Don't make my life too completed, please.  I totally embrace the military mantra of K.I.S.S. - Keep it simple, stupid!  Perhaps I have a short attention span or maybe I'm just lazy, or both.  I just don't want to over do or over think anything.  The same can be said when it comes to food.  Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy lots of different kinds of foods.  But if I have anything to do with the preparation, then the best you'll get from me is a grilled cheese sandwich or mac n cheese with some diced hotdogs and for me that's gourmet style, baby!   

I tell ya, the one thing that sucks about having a trainer who's not only a hard ass but also has a degree nutrition, I get lectured on what I eat.  I don't think my diet is all together bad but it can certainly use a good tweaking.  My problem is if you expect me to "prepare" something, i.e. take more than three minutes to make, I'll just grab an energy bar and call it a meal.  Sure, Paula and Giada get all excited over the meals they make.  For them it's not food, it's a creation, a work of art.  Wow, I could SOOOOO care less about all the foo foo crap that goes into making a meal.  Food is only intended to help keep me alive.  Anything else you do to it is garnish as far as I'm concerned.  So in order to get the nutrients I need that coffee and toast don't provide, Natalie has encouraged me to make protein shakes.  They are on the borderline between stupid easy and too much work.  I mean, I've got a blender I have to clean and there's like more than TWO ingredients.  Whey protein powder, chocolate milk (her idea) and some ice.  No banana.  I eat those separate.  Bananas are like nuts to me.  They're fine by themselves but not mixed with anything.  Blech!!

Now let me back up a bit and say that I LOVE my wife's cooking.  She's creates meals that will knock your socks off but she does spend a fair amount of time in the kitchen working on these delicious masterpieces.  Yes, I get it, it's the preparation that makes the meals so wonderful, but I just don't have the temperament or the skills to make the dishes Julie makes.  Perhaps it's a good thing I suck in the kitchen.  Otherwise I might get saddled with cooking duty and we just can't have that.  Someone in this house has to be lazy and I'm the one willing to make that sacrifice.

So we all have our assigned responsibilities.  When it comes to food, Julie prepares it and I eat it.  A perfect balance that ensures harmony across the universe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment