Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Day 123: Artichokes... a plea for help


Ok, guess it's a slow news day.  Might as well talk about veggies.  Artichokes are one of those things filed under "The few things John can actually make or prepare".  To be honest I don't really do much to artichokes.  Maybe a little EVOO and garlic salt in the water when it comes time to boil.  I do cut the tips off the leaves.  Not that I'm trying to be esthetically pleasing.  I just don't like how those prickly tips poke my fingers.  Cue the violins.

Artichokes were one of just a few veggies my mom could actually get me to eat.  Of course in our household it was artichokes with a "healthy" side of mayo for dipping.  It wasn't until I was well into my adult years that I realized the artichoke heart is actually the best part.  Prior to that I went years avoiding it.  Too much work trying to remove all that hairy crap that concealed the luscious center piece. 

What I need is an awesome stuffed artichoke recipe.  I had a stuffed artichoke at my girlfriend's house when I was in high school.  No words could describe how incredible it was.  I asked her to marry me but unfortunately she called me bluff, "you only want to marry me for my artichoke."  Hey, it could've easily been for a dozen other reasons but damn those artichokes were amazing.

So help me, friends.  Send me your recipes.  I need to spice things up a bit.  I think my wife is getting bored with me so I need to come up with something special.  Besides, nothing says "love" like boiled veggies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment