Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day 141: "Once more unto the breach, dear friends..."


This morning I'll be making my way to my first starting line in three years.  Today I'm running in the Colfax Half-Marathon.

I've been training for a few months but it all started the other day when I went to the packet pickup and Expo.  For me that represented the appetizer of emotions that I would experience from that moment until I stand at the starting line this morning.

I know what lies ahead.  A feast of pent up anxiety, anticipation, nervousness, dread, anger and an insatiable desire to reach my goal.  I'll get to the race LONG before it starts.  It's critical for me to get there early.  Mostly because I fear being late and having to rush to the start.  But I also need to get there early so I can familiarize myself with the surroundings.  I need to see the start line as well as the finish line and try to imagine how I will feel at each point of the race.  Logistically speaking, I'll also need to locate the all important port-a-potties because with all these emotions I'll need an "outlet" several times before the gun sounds.  And lastly, I need to find a quiet place where I can lie down, close my eyes and try to channel my emotions into that calm before the storm.

I ran my first marathon 20 years ago and since then I've amassed a tremendous amount of experience, mostly through failure.  I know that even the best training won't guarantee a great race.  Conversely, I've gone into some races convinced that I would do poorly only to be surprised by unanticipated results.  So going into today's race I'm really not sure what to expect.  I think ultimately I hope for a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction with my efforts.  There are a few of you that have been following my training and have been encouraging me along the way.  I know that today I will carry your well wishes and your energy throughout this race.  I know this comes with the incredible responsibility to do well and a certain amount of fear I have of letting you down.  I suppose that's another source of motivation.  I have to do well, I MUST do well, in order to honor your gifts and because I have no business taking it easy.

See you at the finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment