Sunday, May 13, 2012

Day 134: Mom



For me my mom has been like a backstop.  Nothing ever got by her.  No problem too great.  No achievement too small.  She always knew where I left my favorite toy.  She always knew when got home  from partying with friends (well after curfew).  Growing up my sisters and I never wanted for anything.  No matter what the budget, my mom always managed to keep us in decent clothes, there was always food on the table and more often than not she would manage to find away to treat us to something special.    

We come from different generations and mothering styles have certainly changed over time.  Some might feel the methods they grew up with weren't the best but I would say that they were done with the best intentions.  And being a mom is a pretty tough job.  In many cases my mom had to be both sides of the same coin - a strict disciplinarian as well as a nurturing spirit.  I'm not sure where she learned this, this "nurtured discipline".  There are no books on the topic and I have met very few people with these same qualities.  But I can say with great certainty that it helped create the man I am now.

Today is Mother's Day and I suspect many of you will enjoy the day with your mom or spend the time with your own kids.  Some of you will no doubt be reflecting upon the memories of your mom and yearning to sit by her side just one more time, to hear her sage advice and to be comforted with the assurance that everything will be ok.  Keeping her memories in your heart keeps your mother with you always.  And know that who you are as a person is a reflection of the loving influence of your mother played in your life.  

Happy Mother's Day, mom.  I love you!

1 comment: