Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Day 130: Awe and inspiration...

The gym is never lacking for over-fit, workout junkies that can do what us mere mortals can't, all without breaking a sweat.  So for me, being surrounded by the gods of Mount Olympus, it's a little hard to look around the gym and be truly impressed by anything I see.  But there are those rare occasions when you see someone that just knocks your socks off.  And no, I'm not talking about the little hottie sprinting on the treadmill. 

Today, during my lunch workout, I was cooling down on one of the cardio machines when I noticed this older woman making her way to one of the cycling machines.  It wasn't the fact that she was older that impressed me.  I see lots of us white and blue hairs sweatin' to the oldies.  What impressed me was that this woman was carrying an oxygen bottle. All plugged in, puffing away on the bike.  Wow, what could be more inspiring than that?  I mean, think about it, it's probably pretty rare that you could look at some hard body working out and think "I need to workout that hard."  Most likely you'll be thinking "what a freak!" and then head off to an early happy hour.  But when you see someone who's not in the best of shape trying to give it their best, how could you not think maybe you should workout a little harder?

I'm sure we've all experienced those little moments of inspiration.  Whether it's an elderly person pushing their walker a couple blocks to the local King Soopers or that poor, single mom, traveling alone with two small kids.  Kinda makes you think that maybe we could put a little more effort into our own lives.  At least maybe not complain so much about our circumstances. 

Look around.  I bet you'll find you're surrounded by all kinds of inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment