Saturday, May 5, 2012

Day 126: "My God, it's full of stars.."


Sorry, another movie reference (2001: A Space Odyssey).  I was up well before the crack of dawn this morning.  Would have figured after spending the previous night "meditating" in the bathroom I would've slept like a baby last night.  Oh well...

So since I was up I thought I'd try to capture a few more moon shots.  Long story short, I never found the right location and even though I managed to get a few good shots, there was really no good composition.  Just the moon on a black sky.  No other landscape to help give it some dimension.  Plus I was shooting with our low end 300mm lens so the picture quality wasn't what I would've liked.  Oh well, not every photo session is a success.

But thankfully I did notice there were quite a few stars out and I even witnessed a meteor shower.  Very cool!  I know the pictures here aren't all that great.  I struggled a bit with some of my settings.  This time I did remember my headlamp so I could actually see what the settings were but I forgot my glasses so when I zoomed up it was hard to tell what was in focus.  When shooting stars you have to put your camera on manual focus and unlike the Nikon camera, on the Canon if you put your focus to infinity, objects will be slightly out of focus.  Go figure.  Any ways, this is what I got.  Started out opening my lens as wide as possible (f4).  My ISO was bumped up to 2500 and my shutter was any where between two to four seconds.  I probably should've considered lowering my ISO and gone with a longer exposure.  More experimenting, that's the key.  Next time, too, I think I'll head up into the mountains, maybe somewhere along the Peak to Peak Highway so I'll have more landscape to work with.

Tonight and tomorrow morning the moon is suppose to be at it's fullest.  Here's hoping for a little redemption.

No comments:

Post a Comment