Sunday, May 6, 2012

Day 127: To the victor go the spoils...

A letter to a friend...

"I have to admit I was pretty nervous for you this morning.  Not that I thought you'd fail or that you wouldn't achieve your goals.  I think it was because I knew you could do it and I worried that conditions or circumstances would hinder your pursuits.  I know for me, the closer I come to achieving my goals the more nervous I become.  Knowing that victory is so close at hand, you don't want to let it slip through your fingers. I think that the waiting and wondering, especially when there's nothing you can do about it can be maddening.  Like watching my daughters play volleyball or water polo.  This morning all I could do was sit and wait and send prayers and thoughts of positive energy.    

When I woke this morning I looked at the clock and figured you were making your way to the starting line.  Throughout the morning I would tell Julie "she's probably at the half way point"..."she's three quarters of the way there"... "hope her legs are holding out".... "she should almost be done!"  Every few minutes I was refreshing the finishers page on the web site hoping to see your name.  And then all of a sudden, there it was!  Coming in at 4:02.  Unbelievable!  I was so excited.  I rushed out to tell Julie.  "Honey, she just finished in 4:02!!"  You have no idea how thrilled I was.  If I could dance I jig I would have.  I knew how hard you've been training and it was so great to see it all come together for you on this one glorious day.

Over the past few month life had been kicking you in the teeth and having a good laugh over it.  But you never faltered, you never gave in.  Even in moments where you started to doubt your resolve you still refused to quit.  You set your sights on an objective and refused to succumb to the pressures that urged you to quit.  I've told you several times before but it bares repeating.  You truly are an inspiration to so many of us.  You've shown once again that the way to the summit of glory is not along the path of least resistance but rather the one that takes you through the obstacles and challenges in life where ones true character carries you to the top.

Your best races are yet to come.  Sooner than you know you'll be standing at the starting lines in Boston and New York and probably across the globe.  You'll have racks of medals and drawers full of finisher's shirts.  Photos and memories of your accomplishments will accumulate in no time.  Enjoy this day and celebrate your great achievement.  I couldn't be more proud of you.

Now, please, give yourself a week to recover.  Ok?  Please?"


No comments:

Post a Comment