Saturday, June 30, 2012

Day 182: Letter to Sam...

Wow, sweetheart!

Hard to believe you came into my life 24 years ago today.  Can't believe it's been that long yet it seems just like yesterday when the doctor asked me, "do you want to see your daughter?" 

I remember looking down on you in the delivery room and you looked so peaceful, so serene.  I remember the curve of your eye lashes and your little up turned nose.  It's the same thing I would look at each and every night of your life as I would check in on you.  Yeah, even when you hit your teens I would steal a quick peek to make sure you were ok and I would see that same peaceful look on your face.  It was the one thing that would always turn a bad day into something special.

Over the years I've seen you grow into a beautiful and amazing woman.  I've seen you struggle through some hardships, emerging through it all stronger, more resilient and more determined to succeed.  You've endured a lot and yet you possess such an inner strength, such confidence that you are willing to take life by the horns to see where it will take you.

I always look forward to our chats about what's going on in our lives but I will say that the old memories of the things we've shared I replay often in my mind which always warms my heart.  I won't embarrass you by retelling some of the silly things we've shared but I will say they are the fondest moments in my life. 

As a child many years ago, I knew deep down inside I always wanted to be a father and I knew that I always wanted a daughter.  Someone who could capture my heart and make me smile even on my darkest days.  Every day I thank God who has truly blessed me with an angel.  You have been and always will be the most important woman in my life.  I'm so proud of you and no father could love his daughter more.

Happy Birthday, Samantha!

I love you,

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment