Friday, June 8, 2012

Day 160: One week and counting...

 Today was the last big training run on Mt. Evans before the big race next Saturday.  Wow, what a difference a couple weeks make.  The last time Natalie and I were up on the mountain we damn near froze and almost got blown off the mountain.  Not the most fun I've had training for a race.  But today was a whole lot different.  Granted we started at about the same time we'll finish next week but it was still a gorgeous day.  Very light, cool breeze and slightly warm temps.  Now if this weather can hold through next weekend I'll be a happy little boy.


Starting at Echo Lake, around 10,000+ foot elevation, we started out kinda easy, which is pretty much what all the experts say you're suppose to do when you're running where oxygen is in limited supply.  Actually didn't feel all that bad.  We pretty much ran the first mile and from there went into interval mode, going two to three minutes of running and a minute of walking.  Our half way point today was the six mile marker.  Made that in excellent time even with the slower than normal pace.  It was definitely a confidence builder.  After a few minutes refueling and taking in the sights we made our way back down.  Well, I made my way back down.  Natalie flew!  I think she was late for an appointment or something.  I'm thrilled the race is only one way.  I don't know what it is about going down hill but my quads turn into Jello and this is the one time when there's no room for Jello. 

So all in all, a great training day.  Little tired, little sore.  But it's nothing a glass (or two, or three) of wine can't fix!

No comments:

Post a Comment