Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Day 157: My Kingdom for Privacy...

I suppose I could've turned today's blog into a self-serving diatribe on how wonderful I am, helping the environment by planting a tree, giving new life and beauty to my surroundings.  I'll save the "love me" post for another time.  This was purely a selfish gesture. 

We've been doing a lot of work out in the yard this year.  You recently saw my blog on the additions we put in on the side deck.  Today we added a new tree.  Sure this tree is esthetically pleasing and it provides some symmetry to the other plant life growing somewhat out of control in our backyard.  But let's face it.  In Suburbia USA, where you're elbows to assholes with your neighbors, it's hard to have any real privacy unless you turn your home into a fortress.  The way we're laid out in this neighborhood, even your standard "tall" fences don't provide much privacy.  Hell, if you've seen my backyard we sit on a bit of a rise above our neighbors and can look right down into their yards.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm no "Peeping Tom", but Sophie, God love her, is a major snoop.  She sits for hours up on our outdoor kitchen just staring into our neighbors yards, barking her displeasure if they haven't flipped the burgers on time.  Give her a camera and she'd be my canine paparazzi.

Maybe I'm just turning into a grumpy old man.  Don't get me wrong, I love my neighborhood and we've got great neighbors.  I guess I've just had it living so close to so many people.  We've been talking about moving out to Evergreen and even some of those homes that are WAY out in the boonies are looking more attractive to me.  I don't think I'm joking any more when I say I want to move up into the mountains, get a shotgun and just sit on my porch shooting at trespassers.  With the exception of hunting and fishing, I could so be a mountain man.  I'll need to come up with a new name.  "Grizzy Adams" is taken.  How about "Coot"?

No comments:

Post a Comment