Monday, June 4, 2012

Day 156: Unexpected...


Life is nothing if not unexpected.  Seems no matter how much we plan, we still get caught off guard.  I suppose it wouldn't be so bad it we didn't focus entirely on planning for success.  I think in life we also need to plan for failure.  And before you call me Donny Downer, hear me out.  What I mean is we seldom anticipate the possibility of something going wrong.  Everything we do is geared towards an outcome of success.  At work, in our relationships, with our families and friends.  But what about when things go wrong?  When life pitches one in high and tight, how do we respond?  Do we maintain our composure or do we fly off the handle?  Much easier to do the latter, speaking for myself.  But I suspect if we can entertain the possibility that things won't always work out according to plan, it makes the so-called failure less ominous and we'll have a clearer mind to come up with alternatives instead of spending all that time swirling around in our pool of self-pity and remorse.  We may not necessarily achieve the goals we set in the manner we had hoped but taking a different route to the summit of the mountain still gets us to the summit of the mountain.  And isn't that where we ultimately want to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment