Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Day 158: Winner...

Just in case you're wondering, yes, I did actually win something in my life.  Sure it was over 40 years ago but victory is eternal, no matter how small the challenge.  This goes WAY back in my youth when I dabbled a bit in the Hitler Youth, uh, I mean, Cub Scouts.  Who remembers the old Pinewood Derby race?  Do they even still do this?  This was one of those father/son activities we did in Scouts.  It was so cool, creating your own racer, getting it all tricked out, ready to race.  It was a pretty intense competition, or at least that's how I like to remember it.  Unfortunately no endorsement deals, no beer commercials but what a thrill it was to win!

Yeah, so this is one of those things I've held onto for my entire life.  To be honest it really has nothing to do with coming in first.  What it represents to me is a special moment in time when my dad and I did something together.  I've got a lot of fond memories but this is one that sticks out and I've got a little something to remember it by.  I tell ya, I would've held onto this thing even if we didn't win.  What mattered to me was that this was something we did together.  Call me a sentimental old fool (or just a fool) but this was something special.

No comments:

Post a Comment