Sunday, June 17, 2012

Day 169: My Dad...


I'd imagine that for most people growing up the first hero you ever had was probably your dad.  That was definitely the case for me.  I think from the start my dad was the hero from which all my other heroes were measured.  And I pretty much followed in his footsteps... majored in History, went through ROTC and got commissioned in the Army, served as a Military Intelligence officer.  Our likes are pretty similar.  We're die hard San Francisco 49ers and Giants fans.  We consider the Bay Area home even though I was technically not born there. He served in the Vietnam War, I served in the Cold War.  The list goes on...

I'd like to think our personalities are a bit similar as well.  We're generally peaceful, easy going folks but can get irritable over the dumbest things, like when we're tired or having to circumnavigate annoying shoppers when all we want to do is buy one thing.  When it comes to any home repair project, we both put our blood, sweat and swears into it.  And when I say blood, I mean that literally.  Yep, my dad taught me no great project ever came about without spilling a little blood. 

But above all he's always been a pretty straight forward guy.  Just tell it like it is.  Do what needs to get done.  Don't linger.  Don't waffle.  When it comes to making decisions, MAKE THEM and stick to them.  Get up and go!  And patience!  More than anything I would say patience is the most important lesson he's given me.  Yeah, I know some of you that know me and my dad will say, "Yeah, right, YOU'RE patient."  It's true, we do get pretty impatient at times, but I like to think we're patient when it matters.  When I was a boy he would help me with models and also taught me how to draw.  He'd always tell me when I'd get consumed with frustration, "put it down and walk away.  It'll be better when you come back in an hour."  And sure enough it always was.  I've been doing marathons and triathlons for years and I've spent thousands of hours and miles training for events.  It's a long, drawn out, "patient" process that doesn't produce immediate results but over time the meticulous efforts would payoff in the completion of events I scarcely believed were possible.  Patience is something I try to carry into my relationships and my work.  It's the one thing we all truly need. 

Dad, I can't begin to say how thankful I am to have you as my father.  All I can do is try to live up to your expectations and hopefully share with others the wonderful lessons you've provided me over the years.  I love you with all my heart and soul!

Happy Father's Day, Dad!!

No comments:

Post a Comment