Thursday, October 25, 2012

Day 299: "And she's buying a Stairway to Skylink..."



I can't take off on a flight without the theme song from "Top Gun" playing in my head. And somehow whenever I'm traveling through the DFW airport and have to take their Skylink train to another terminal, Led Zepplin's "Stairway to Heaven" plays on my inner iPod as I head up the escalator. Wow, not sure how my dime store psychology will process that.  

There really is no glory in travel. Although collectively we're herded about like cattle this is a one man show. No team affiliation. No unit citations or shared badges of honor. We are together alone in our misery.  We all go through the motions, getting pushed and prodded about.  Delayed, bumped, inconvenienced.  You'd think we'd have this brotherhood kinda thing going on.  "Hey, we're all suffering together!  Power to the people!"  Nope, we just move quietly about, never making eye contact, hoping to make it to our destination as quickly and safely as possible with all our bags and wits intact. 

So with all that being said I'll go ahead and nestle into my exit row seat and wait for them to tell me to turn off my iPhone.  At least I'll be home in a few hours.

Post Script... 
"Hello, Mr. Karp?"  
"Yes"
"We have a message for you."
"Ah, a message?  Um ok...."
"Would you like to move up to seat 4B (First Class)?"
"Oh, HELL yeah, sweet cheeks!"

Ok, I didn't say "sweet cheeks" but my inner voice sure did.  Not sure what I enjoyed more.  The fact I got upgraded to First Class at the last minute or the expression of the other galley slaves sitting around me as I was awarded my freedom, grabbed my bags and headed up to the land of milk and honey and cheap wine.  HUZZAH!!

No comments:

Post a Comment