Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Day 297: The "Wall"

One of the mind tricks us runners have developed over time is the ability to focus not on how many miles we need to run but rather staying in the moment, focusing on the mile we are currently running. But as in any road race, whether it’s a 5K or a marathon, eventually you start to become more acutely aware of the miles left to run rather than the miles already run.

I think I’m at the point with this blog. Similar to running, the discomfort and pain that I’ve been able to ignore up to this point is starting to demand more of your attention. I knew the time would come during the duration of this 365 blog where I would struggle to consistently capture quality images or provide interesting discussion topics. Like in marathon running, there are always moments when your mind and body start to falter. If you’re lucky you’ll get a second wind, a burst of energy that will propel you through the next few miles. But unfortunately those moments are short-lived and that proverbial “wall” will come crashing down on you. I’m near 300 days into this blog and I’m finding that I’m thinking more about Day 366 (leap year, thank you) blog entry and how far off it seems rather than how much I’ve accomplished so far.

“Perseverance” is tattooed on my leg as a permanent reminder that quitting is not an option. No matter how I feel or where I’m at emotionally or physically, I’m committed to moving forward. Like an order given by a superior officer, it is not up for discussion. Negotiating or compromising is a luxury I’m not entitled to. The only response is “Yes, Sir!” So I’m compelled to mount up, lock and load and meet the enemy head on. Now is the time to draw on those reserves that will sustain me through the rest of this endeavor. It’s either that or this blog will REALLY suck from here on out…

No comments:

Post a Comment