Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Day 278: Not impressed...

I guess one of the perks of being on business travel overseas is not having to listen to all the "I approve this message..." crap that floods our TV stations back home. An added perk is I got to miss one of the presidential debates last night.  Oh, bummer....

As I've said before I'm not endorsing either candidate and that won't change because of a spirited debate.  I learned a LONG time ago not to get too excited over commercials, debates or any spewing of rhetoric.  I've witnessed throughout my professional career, outside of the military, that there are many who are incredibly skilled in spinning a good story but can't boil water.  I've met a lot of folks that stumble over their tongues in a public forum but are some of the most capable and accomplished people ever to join the work force.  To say who won or lost the presidential debate is like getting excited over fantasy football.  It's not real and it doesn't mean anything.  Over the decades both parties have used these debates to promote one platform or another, telling the American people exactly what they want to hear only to execute on their hidden agendas once elected.  Hey, I'll have an opinion just like everyone else about how well the candidate "performed" during the debate but it certainly won't sway my vote.

So you might be thinking, "Well, what the hell DO you want?"  Simple, get rid of our current political parties.  In this country it's all about party affiliation.  Pure blind faith.  Look at the Facebook posts of your friends.  You'll see "diehard" Democrat or Republican as a personal identifier.  Why can't we just be diehard Americans?  Why can't we really pick and choose who we want to lead this country based on their personal merits rather than their party affiliation?  Maybe I'm over-simplifying this but it's really not all that complex.  Do what's right, not what's profitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment