Friday, October 19, 2012

Day 293: Where did the time go?


I was all set to be trite and create one of those illustrations that would say something like "I miss driving my daughter and her friends around listening to Brittany Spears or the latest boy band on the radio - said no father ever" but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss those days. It was a time of transition. A time when I went from being her best bud, indulging all her play time requests to transforming into an ATM machine on wheels. There were still moments when she needed me, not just for what was in my wallet but more importantly, my time. She's all grown up now living on her own, a time zone away. We don't talk as much as we'd like. Life has a way of getting in the way. I've been replaced by the man of her dreams and as expected I'm in her review mirror instead of her front seat. I couldn't be happier to see the woman she has become. I still pine for the old days when we use to go to the park or beach and then out for ice cream. But I'm not looking to go back in time. I just hope I can be there for all the new milestones she'll reach in life. I'll try to avoid the retelling of the old, embarrassing childhood stories. I'll save those for my own quiet times. I look forward to seeing her graduate, marry and maybe start a family. I know she'll make a wonderful mom in spite of my parental influences. She was the one thing I ever truly wanted in life and I can't begin to express the thanks and gratitude for the opportunity to be her father. I know she will go much farther in life than I ever did because there is a greatness in her that she is just now discovering for herself. I'm excited for her for what the future might bring. I just hope as she moves through life that she knows I am with her and love her always. No father could be prouder of his daughter.

I love you, Sam.

No comments:

Post a Comment