Monday, October 1, 2012

Day 276: More adventures...




It was another one of those times where the plans and results didn’t quite match up.  Yesterday afternoon I took a taxi over to Windsor Castle all set to get some amazing photos of one of the Royal residence.  Yep, I was all full of myself.  Let me tell you, Karma spanks you not just by your actions but even by your intentions.  By the time I got there the castle grounds were already closed and tourists were making their way home.  There weren’t a lot of great vantage points to photograph the castle and I was in danger of returning to my hotel, a photographic bust.  Oh well, I’m still in the UK, I’m sure I can find something else to photograph. 
As has always been my preference I just walked about town letting my eyes guide me.  To be honest it wasn’t the best of photography days.  I did find several interesting things but for the most part I kept my camera at my side, just enjoying the scenery and taking in my own mental pictures.  I followed the route the taxi took but veered off from time to time to explore different little neighborhoods and hamlets.  Being a bit hungry I stopped in the small down of Datchet at a pub called “The Royal Stag”.  What a difference from American watering holes.  Quiet, easy going blokes taking in a pint, decompressing from their day.  No waitresses clamoring for a nice tip or obnoxious drunks or blaring TVs.  Just gentle folks enjoying each other’s company.   


I ended up walking all the way back to the hotel which was just around four miles.  It really was a great experience but nothing you would see in my photos.  Sometimes you need to put the camera down and just be in the moment.  Sometimes we need to be that twig floating down a mighty river… 

No comments:

Post a Comment