Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Day 290: Learning vs Doing

For as long as I've been working in IT there has been an ongoing debate on whether a college education should be required for an IT engineering professional. There are certainly a lot of good arguments on either side of the fence. A structured curriculum will ensure a breadth of information will be learned but little emphasis is placed on practical application. Conversely those who grew up working the trade, much like an apprentice, will have greater skills in applying IT engineering principles but their knowledge will be limited to only those things they've personally experienced. There are merits for both career paths but if I was forced into a "Sophie' choice" I'd have to pick the path of experience. If for no other reason it would be the personal attachment one has with their trade.

I'm sure you know plenty of Sheldon Coopers who know all there is to know about something but couldn't figure out how to empty a glass of water even with instructions on the bottom of the glass. I've met some incredibly bright, college educated IT engineers who struggle configuring a server and I've met high school grads who are senior IT professionals of Fortune 500 companies. It's not that I "ain't inta all that book learn in' stuff", I just think we get a little too wrapped up on degrees rather than skills. I've seen the same thing in the photography world. Some argue that you need a degree in order to fully employ all the techniques for creating good pictures, but little emphasis is placed on how to BE creative.

I think what it really boils down to is passion. In my personal experience the individual that demonstrates a true passion for their craft is the one most qualified. Passion drives the thirst for knowledge no matter what the forum. Passion empowers and challenges us to move forward and embrace the unknown. Those with passion are the risk takers, the ones willing to get bloodied and bruised because they know greatness lies ahead. Those without will sit, observe, comment or ridicule but will achieve nothing. Show me a person with passion and I'll show you a person of great achievement.

So welcome to the University of Hard Knocks. Home of The Fighting Bastards!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment