Thursday, October 18, 2012

Day 292: What compels you...

Back in the day when I was a total fitness freak I had done my share of triathlons and marathons and was able to achieve marginal success where other, more capable souls didn't do as well. The only difference between me and that guy with 4% body fat and riding a $5k bike was emotional state. Call it will, perseverance, desire, or whatever, there is something more beyond technology and genetics that can determine who succeeds and who fails.  I once tried posting a trip report on 14ers.com and got ridiculed because I didn't provide a detailed technical description of the route I took or how I navigated the route.  I understand and appreciate the importance of providing accurate information regarding the terrain you're trying to navigate but damnit there's only so much you can glean from a mundane trip report. The difference between success and failure is your ability to mentality process the gravity of your undertaking. Physical prowess and genetics will only take you so far. The true champion moves willingly into uncharted waters and embraces the unknown in order to experience a life beyond their own comprehension. I would rather read about the emotional and spiritual experiences of someone who achieved success rather than someone who just spews out a road map to the finish line. I've often wondered what compelled a man to stand and fight when surrounded by the enemy as opposed to the tactics they employed. Tactics can be taught. Instinct and courage is something inherent. Back in my ROTC days, when other cadets sat at the bar getting hammered, my buddy Dale and I use to sit and listen to the tails told by our NCOs who survived the jungles of Vietnam as frightened, young teenagers. What fascinated me most was not how they won an engagement but what compelled them to stand and fight under extraordinary circumstances.  I think I knew that at some point in my life I would be faced with the "fight or flight" dilemma and I prayed I would be man enough to do the right thing. So if my "flowery" trip report is not in your liking, turn the page. Courage is not measured by your intellect but rather by your deeds in ignorance. I believe and embrace total preparation in any endeavor but any real objective includes some amount of the unknown because it is how we respond to that unknown that defines our character. And every adventure in life is a quest to discover our true character. A college degree, a first marathon, the next promotion are all nothing more than a valiant attempt to seek the truth of our existence. Life compels us to move forward. May your journey be ever lasting...

No comments:

Post a Comment