Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Day 291: Wounds...

When combatants go to war it's expected there will be some collateral damage but I'm tired of being the only causality of someone else's war. In war both sides are expected to suffer casualties but in this day and age the only ones who suffer are the non-combatants. Case in point, at American airlines the pilots and execs are fighting over money but the only ones who are suffering are the travelers. In politics the Democrats and Republicans fight over political territory but it's the middle class that suffers the wounds. The rich are continually isolated from fiscal hardships as are the uninspired poor. If the Democrats win I'll continue to support the lives of those who refuse to do for themselves. If the Republicans win I'll continue to cover the corners cut by the 1%ers. We're forced into a world of polarization, you're either one or the other but we fail to realize that the Democrats and Republicans are different sides of the same coin of evil.
I know you probably read this and think I'm overly dramatic and perhaps I am but understand this, life is based upon perception and my perceived reality is based on my membership in the middle class and right now I'm the economic bitch that serves the greed of this country, both poor and rich. For decades we, the middle class, have been the cash cow that's kept this country afloat. For generations we have been expected to shoulder the burden that comes with making the rich richer and the poor more dependent. I won't engage in ideological debate over the merits of the Democratic or Republican platforms, the results are still the same for the middle class. We're at a point now in our society where you can no longer squeeze blood from a turnip. We, the middle class, have nothing left to give. Helping our kids through school, planning for a retirement are now an unattainable dream. The poor will continue to get handouts and the rich will continue to get breaks. I don't want a handout nor do I want privilege. I just want to take care of my family and for once not be afraid of tomorrow. I sit in a plane at 38,000 feet squeezed into a seat designed for a malnourished child and I feel like I'm making one more concession for someone who does not suffer for the war they've waged. They sit in the comfort of their own foxhole while they expect me to charge forward, taking a bullet on their behalf for a war I neither volunteered for nor support. A pilot can feign sickness or show up late for a flight but it affects neither him nor the corporate execs but it turns the world upside down for that vacationing family or business traveler. If you truly want to go to war over something then by God you better be placing yourself in harm’s way, otherwise don't make a fuss. Many but not all the destitute are lazy and many but not all the wealthy are greedy and selfish. I just want to support myself and my family and give some assistance to those down on their luck. The rich don't need any extra benefits or breaks. The unemployed need to take that "shit" job as a springboard to something better and stop asking for help. It’s time that both ends of this polarized world suffer their own wounds and bare their own scars There's very little I'll go to war over but when I do, whatever it might be I'll take the pain and wounds necessary to attain the victory I desperately wish to achieve. No one will suffer on my behalf. You can't claim victory when it was achieved by the blood of others.
Oh, by the way, if the cheap ass wine is complimentary you bet your ass I'll drink as much as I want. I'll claim victory wherever I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment