Thursday, October 4, 2012

Day 279: Tallyho!

My trip to the UK is winding down and it's time to head home. I can't wait to get home to my creature comforts, my beautiful wife and my Sophie.  It's been a long and productive week but now I need to get to where I belong.

So I think it was Bernie Shaw that said "England and America are two countries separated by a common language." I think I know what he means now. Over here they say "Way out" while we say "Exit". At home we say "Men's Room", here they say "Gents". I know, little differences but it's just enough to be charming without being confusing. They still haven't figured out what side of the road to drive on but as long as I kept my head on a swivel everything was ok. London is a great town. A wonderful melting pot of cultures and customs. But my favorite part of this trip was being out in the country side, experiencing the Brits at their very best. They're no different than us with the exception of that accent which was a bit challenging at times to understand but fun to listen to. Even overhearing someone say "asshole" made me smile. Someone could've said to me, "You're a daft prick" and I would've said "thank you".

I did hit a couple of the tourist traps while on this trip. I think by law everyone has to visit Big Ben, Westminster Abbey or Bucky's Palace. But the real, authentic London is found in the small towns and burroughs that make up the greater part of London. The shops and pubs where only the locals tread are the places to go. Fancy restaurants are lost on me. Give me a pub with bangers and mash and a pint of the local ale and I'm in heaven. Sure I'd be helping the economy if I bought tickets to tour London Tower or attend a local show down by Piccadilly Circus but why not drop a few quid at a local pub or convenience store? They need money too, right? For me I think that's money better well spent.



So time to pack the bags and post my last overseas blog. It was a great trip, nice balance of work and leisure. Thank you, Brits, for making this a wonderful trip. Just wish my Julie was here with me. Here's to you, my cousins from across the pond. You put the "Great" in Great Britain.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment