Thursday, January 5, 2012

Day 5: Sweet Treats...



I tell you one of my all time favorite treats is the See's Candies suckers, especially butterscotch.  Not sure if it's because they taste so good or that they represent fond memories, or maybe both, but I can't seem to get enough of these little gems.  I keep a little mug full of suckers on my desk and they seem to be my go-to crutch when things get stressful at work or I need to satisfy a little sweet tooth, usually after a hard workout.  You'd think that mug would be empty by now. 

To this day I can remember when I had my very first See's butterscotch sucker.  I was in Kindergarten, it was Christmas time and for some reason I was out with my grandmother, Mimi, Christmas shopping.  I was pretty much dressed like Randy in "Christmas Story" and most likely whining about something.  Side note, even at that age I remember stressing about money, not having any to buy gifts.  Sorry, I digress.  Either to be nice or just to plug my pie hole, Mimi plopped a sucker in my mouth and it was like heaven took up residence on my tongue.  I'm sure for the rest of the evening, or until I finished the sucker, I was a complete angel.  As I get closer to the ripe old age of 50, I STILL think of Mimi and Christmas shopping every time I have a butterscotch sucker.  The sucker, like that moment, was and is so sweet and joyful.  You see?  It truly is the simple things in life that we remember and cherish most. 

Now, gimme a sucker??

No comments:

Post a Comment