Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Day 10: Hidden Treasures...



...or is it just junk?  I was digging through my closet (in my man cave) looking for something in particular but having no luck.  Instead I ran across one of my "John's stuff" boxes and found all this random stuff I've collected over the years.  I found things in this box that go all the way back to when I was 5 years old.  Guess you can call me a sentimental pack rat. 

Why haven't I gotten rid of all this?  Well, a lot of it has stories, history about where I came from, what things I did.  I know there's a lot of worthless junk in there and I should just toss it. But I guess the one thing that keeps me from dumping this stuff is that maybe there will be a grandchild or great grandchild that might find this interesting.  Maybe he or she would be interested in know they had a relative that went to High School in Germany.  That he was a discus thrower, an Army officer, a harmonica player, a triathlete, among other things. 

It's also very likely all this stuff about me will be of no consequence to anyone long after I'm gone.  Doesn't matter one way or the other.  I know that I relish all the tidbits of information I can find on my relatives.  Things that would give me some insight into their personality, their dreams and ambitions.  Knowing the paths they've taken in life helps me to understand how I came to be where I am now. 

So, not that I'm planning on kicking the bucket any time soon, I should consider doing my daughters a favor and unload a lot of this stuff.  I can just hear them when the day comes... "What the HELL was he holding onto this crap for?!"  Well, girls, you wanted an inheritance.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment