Sunday, January 22, 2012

Day 22: Anticipation...



I SUCK at waiting.  If you want to make me go insane, make me wait.  Yeah, I'm impatient at times.  Traffic lights, checkout counters.  Not a big fan of either.  But having to wait for something to start is like a slow, agonizing death to me.  I'm sitting here, waiting for the Niners game to start and I still have two hours before game time.  My stomach is in knots and I feel like a caged animal.  Thank God we're updating the guest bathroom.  It's a pleasant distraction, even with the fumes and mess.

Back in my youth I hated, yes, HATED the time leading up to a football game or track meet.  The longer the wait, the more intense my nerves became.  During my years running marathons and triathlons, my nerves usually went into overdrive days leading up to the event.  Sleep and appetite were non-existent.  On race day you could easily see me visit the porta-potty at least four or five times before the gun went off.  At school or work I hated going last.  When it was time to present, I HAD to go first, otherwise I was tormented by all the worry and second-guessing.

I'm not about to justify why I feel this way.  When it comes to my favorite sports teams I'm sure the behavior borders on the obsessive.  Yeah, I get it, I'm not personally vested in the outcome of those games but I've got to believe genetics plays a role in my behavior.   Meditation, incense, playing the Ambient station on Pandora just doesn't seem to make a dent.  Best thing for all is to just leave me alone, let me focus and beware of the occasional outburst of "colorful metaphors" .

Come on!  Let's go!!  Tic toc, tic toc!

No comments:

Post a Comment