Monday, January 2, 2012

Day 2: The Gauntlet Has Been Tossed...


My trainer, Natalie, has been nudging me for a while to get back up on the horse and run a half marathon.  Up until 2009, when I ran my last marathon, I had spent the previous 17 years running, biking and swimming through 30 marathons, countless 10k's, a dozen or more half marathons, scores of triathlons, a couple Iron distance triathlons, and a 200 mile bike ride through Death Valley.  Eventually my knees and feet said, "Enough!!"  But if you're one of those folks that willingly does distance races, you know you can't stay away from the starting line for too long.  I have to admit that after my last marathon, for the last few years I would still get that itch to lace 'em up and go pound pavement for a few hours.  I'm not about to explain what compels me to do it.  There really are no words that could adequately describe it.  Either you get it or you don't.

So, Natalie, I accept your challenge.  Pick the battlefield and I'll be there.  Bring on the sore knees, blood blisters and lost toe nails.  But once again, victory shall be mine!

"May fortune favor the foolish."
William Shakespeare

1 comment:

  1. And you forgot to mention the Century ride you did a couple of weeks before the 200 at Death Valley. Once an animal always an animal. Go for it!!

    ReplyDelete