Sunday, January 29, 2012

Day 29: Blah...blah...blah...



Ever notice there seem to be a lot of people making careers out saying a whole lot but really not saying anything?  Have you been watching the debates lately?  How about those meetings at work?  I had my annual performance review last week with my boss and one of the topics that I brought up was the fact I don't usually say much during meetings.  I thought it was funny and a bit refreshing that my boss actually acknowledged the fact that it's a bit of our corporate culture to talk a LOT, even if we really don't have much to say.  I've discovered it's the true mark of success to create the illusion of intelligence.

I don't know about you but personally speaking I'm not a big fan of saying anything unless I really have something to say. But it's unfortunate that in our careers and certainly in politics, people are getting rewarded for how they speak instead of what they're saying.  I know a number of people in my profession that are looked upon with reverence and admiration even though what they say is of no substance or consequence.  The same could be said for that collection of smarmy suits, all jockeying for that presidential title.

Tell me if you've ever heard something like this....

"We need to empower our workforce to create a win-win situation with our customers, thinking outside the box to maintain a battle rhythm of success and create synergies across our core competencies that enables strategic growth, shifting the paradigm to a customer-centric market, leveraging cutting edge technologies, making us the employer of choice among the next generation of creative contributors, building upon our legacy accomplishments to secure a global presence among the international marketplace."

I know, how am I not a CEO already???

1 comment: