Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Day 17: "Mannish Boy..."


Another of my new year commitments is to get back to playing the harp.  LOVE the Blues harp.  Nothing like it in the world.  Hard to believe there was a time in my life you couldn't pay me to listen to the Blues.  What was I thinking?  I remember when it finally hit me, though.  Sitting in a dive bar in New Orleans listening to an old Jazz Blues band.   One of the guys was just wailin' away on the harp.  I was hooked immediately.  Within a week I found a how-to book, a cheap harp and got started on learning how to play this wonderful instrument.

I have no illusions that I'll ever play the harp as well as my heroes Junior Wells, Little Walter or Howlin' Wolf.  I play purely for the fun of it.  I've actually played on stage a couple of times but that courage has long since gone.  Let me qualify that by saying it was "liquid" courage that got me on stage.  Heck, I don't really like playing in front of my family.  For now my venues are my car and hotel room.  Who knows, maybe some day I'll find a quiet, little spot on Pearl Street in Boulder, with an upturned cap, playing for tips.  We'll see if I can get my mojo workin'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment