Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day 19: Recess!



Man, I can remember the thrill of recess like it was yesterday.  It was like being a prisoner in solitary, getting his 15 minutes on the recreation grounds.  Recess was play time.  Time to burn off all that pent up frustration and angst over the latest school assignment.  Nothing like taking out a bad grade in math on the hallowed dodge ball playing fields.  I cherished every moment of recess and I dragged out every possible second until the warden came screaming for me to return to my cell, I mean class.

You know it never occurred to me when I was graduating from elementary school that I would never enjoy the excitement of recess again in my life.  Why don't we have recess in our adult lives?  Well, I guess I sorta kinda do.  My lunch breaks are usually spent in the gym or on a running trail.  It's not quite dodge ball but it is a way to burn off steam.  But unfortunately, at my age, it's becoming more of a necessity, for health reasons, rather being a time for fun.

The only time I ever see that level of excitement is when I take my Sophie to the dog park or day care.  She goes nuts in the car whenever I get close to either location.  It's such a trip to see her run around with her four-legged friends, chasing and wrestling.  I'm pretty envious of her at times.  Imagine if we could go to a park, as adults, and just start playing with other adults.  Throwing a ball, playing tag or starting up a game of kickball.  How is it as adults we lost that kind of fun in our lives?  Makes you wonder, if you could be a dog for a day, how fun that could be.  Well, save for the habit of sniffing butts, it would be nice to treat life with total abandon and have REAL fun for once.

No comments:

Post a Comment