Sunday, December 23, 2012

Day 358: Almost there...

Wow, I cannot believe I'm in the single digits now.  Less than 10 days left on my 365 blog.  I remember when this whole crazy thing started and how I had to constantly NOT remind myself I had over 360 days to go.  It's been quite a ride.  Like a marathon, though, it seems the closer I get to the finish line the harder it is.  "What?  I still have two miles to go?!  Shit!!"  Alright, let's finish this thing strong. 

Like everything in life, including life, all things must come to an end.  But don't forget that all these endings are just a prelude to new beginnings.  I know it's tough to deal with at times.  With the year winding down depression grips a lot of folks much more than at any other time of the year.  Thanks to our calendar it conveniently segments our lives into beginnings and endings and it forces us to look at a small period of time in our lives with some arbitrary measuring stick to determine our self worth.  But for some of you that may be feeling down right about now, let me ask you this.  When looking back on a year, oh say 10 to 15 years ago, does it bring back any of that same melancholy that you're feeling right now?  I would bet it doesn't.  You'll have memories of different things that occurred in your life, some good and some not so good, but I'd bet you wouldn't have a lot of memories of feeling depressed, at least not the way many of us do at this time of the year.

So let me ask this of you or at least let this be my prayer for you, when those feelings of depression and failure start to creep into your mind just say "Edit!"  Take those thoughts and edit them out of your mind and your heart.  I know it'll be harder for some but do try to hold onto the blessings that you've experienced every day of your life.  No matter how your holiday preparations are going, no matter how this year has turned out for you, finish strong.  Finish with the knowing that this has been another wonderful year for you and look upon the year to come with great anticipation because amazing things are coming your way and the rest of us can't wait to share in your joys and triumphs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment