Sunday, December 16, 2012

Day 351: My work is done here...

My visit is quickly coming to an end and even though I'm beginning to feel the initial twinges of sadness I can't help but feel an incredible gladness and contentment to see how life is playing out for my Sam.  Perhaps if she were still living on her own in an apartment somewhere I'd still have those anxious feelings of wanting to help her and protect her.  But seeing the life she's made with Nick I know I have little to worry about.

It was really adorable and incredibly heart warming to see the two of them moving about the kitchen last night preparing dinner.  I don't know, over these three short days the best way I can discribe them is that they "fit".  Their banter, their laugh, the dishing of sarcasm and the genuine affection they share is all so beautifully orchestrated into this wonderful harmony.  There's an ease and comfort in the way they are with each other.  Even when they disagree they do it with an affection and mutual respect that makes it apparent there's a deep undercurrent of love they have for each other.

As our children grow up and they start loosening their grips on us and start reaching for someone else, all we can hope for as parents is that they find someone they truly love and who truly loves them back.  As I've said to Sam many times, "I just want you to be happy and no matter who you're with as long as you're happy and feel good about your life and who you are, that's all that matters."  When it comes to his daughter it's not easy for a father to step aside and let someone else become the protecter of his little angel but in this case I think my work is done here.

But I'll still be watching you....

2 comments: