Sunday, April 15, 2012

Day 106: Life in black and white...


Back in the day when I started out in photography I did all my photos in black and white.  Ok, wasn't really a choice considering back then it was all film and the cheapest and easiest route into photography was black and white.  Working in B&W was challenging enough, hoping you got your camera settings right, processing the film and developing the prints.  I can remember shooting several rolls of film only to come away with just a few decent prints all because I screwed up some part of the process along the way.  Oh well, you live and learn. 

Now that we're in the digital age we have all the color affects we could ever want without fear of the many additional unforgiving steps it takes to develop film and prints.  I forget sometimes that I've always been a bigger fan of B&W over color.  I loved all the old Life magazine photos, the drama they could capture whether it was a sporting event or a war time picture.  And let's not forget my absolute favorite B&W photo...... Rita Hayworth kneeling on a bed, looking just beyond the camera.  Ahhhhhh, back when women had curves!

So here are a few I shot today, along with my assistant, Sophie.  She kept an eye out for coyotes while I snapped away.  I made sure to pay her for her efforts - A trip to Starbucks, she loves those glazed donuts.  Don't worry, she only gets a couple nibbles.  Trust me, I'm not that generous.



No comments:

Post a Comment