Monday, April 9, 2012

Day 100: Choices...


Wow, can't believe I've made it to Day 100!  I wasn't sure I'd be able to make it this far.  How am I going to come up with photos or stories that are remotely interesting for 365 days?  Wait, crap!  This is a leap year.  Shit, I have to come up with 366!  Ugh.  Oh well, a friend of mine assured me it wouldn't be as difficult as I thought.  I will admit there have been a few days where I felt like I just "mailed it in" and certainly there were other days where I had something to say. Like a grueling marathon, there are more miles ahead.  Don't think of the miles you have to run, only the mile you're running now....

So for shits and giggles (love that phrase -  as if someone would giggle while they're taking a dump), I thought I would ask the question that begged to be asked - Team Gale or Team Peeta?  For those of you that don't recognize the names, those are the characters from the book/movie "Hunger Games".  The "team" reference is a take off from the Twilight series where girls expressed their longing for the lead characters by being a fan or team member for Edward or Jacob. 

The "Hunger Games" is another series of books, soon to be a movie series, that has two leading male roles and women are already swooning over them.  The initial results of my poll show a significant, hell, landslide lead for Gale.  He's the tall, brooding, good looking guy.  Then there's Peeta, the nice, easy going, supportive guy.  One represents excitement and fun, the other dependability and safety.  Now I've only read the first book and recently saw the movie so don't hold me to any personality changes that might come up in subsequent books.  But almost immediately I can see that it's all about the semi-bad boy versus Mr. nice guy.  And as we all know, good guys always fininsh last.  At least initially.

As much as you're tired of hearing me talk about age I think it plays a key part here.  When we're younger were more attracted/distracted by the shiny objects in life - the cool car, they hot busty girl, the rugged bad boy, those expensive gaudy shoes.  Julie and I have been together for eight years, married for almost seven.  She's made a point of telling me that if we had met five years prior she most DEFINILTEY would not have been attracted to me.  Life was all about trying to corral the exciting bad boy.  I would wager that nearly every woman that tried to do that failed miserably.  There's a reason why those guys are bad boys.  Now granted, life with the nice guy has some draw backs.   Dependable, stable, predictable = boring.  Yep, that's me in all my drab glory. 

I think as we get older the shiny objects tend to lose their luster.  There's no depth, no substance, no real value to any of those play things we coveted during our youth.  But it's during our youth that we should be enjoying all those things, mostly because we can.  I'm not saying folks need to settle down in their 20's.  Go out and sew those wild oats.  Have fun, be crazy.  But don't buy into the illusion that any of that really matters.  Even the best perfume dissaptes quickly. 

I say be aware of your choices and be ready for the repercussions.  Be aware that the bad boy will treat you like crap.  The cool car will break down.  The hot chick will get long in the tooth.  And those shoes that gave you bunions will go out of style.  What you think is so cool now will mean almost nothing to you years from now.  And some advice for the nice guys out there, be patient. The bad boys will flame out and the right woman will eventually see you for who you are.  I know I hit the lottery when it came to finding Julie.  Think of it as the lion following a herd of wildebeest.  Wait for one that drifts from the pack and POUNCE!  :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment